Bully for You
Bully for you is a phrase used to congratulate the achievement of someone, as well as expressing admiration, similar to “good for you”.
- #1 Slang: Can I Get a Hoya?
- #2 Slang: 228922
- #3 Slang: Queen of Spades Tattoo
- #4 Slang: If You Know You Know
- #5 Slang: Negative Ghost Rider
See the 🔝 most used slang terms these days.
While the term “bully” has a pejorative and negative meaning today, this was not always the case, as the archaic significance of “bully” is actually a “fine chap” or a “sweetheart”.
The phrase “bully for you” has its roots in the 15th and 16th century when “bully” was used in the aforementioned sense.
Over the years, the meaning of the word changed, however, the phrase serves as a reminder of the original significance of the term.
Spread and Usage
“Bully for you” would become a popular expression in various periods, emerging in larger quantities in the early and late 1800’s, as well as the end of the 20th century.
It was first defined on Urban Dictionary in 2010.
- 7esl.com – What Is the Meaning of the Popular Idiom “Bully For You”?
- Writingexplained.org – What Does Bully For You Mean?